A Southern California native with a passion for good food, adventure, and all things beautiful. Join me for skincare advice, beauty and makeup reviews, style and fashion tips, and more!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy New Year Again!


Today is Chinese New Year, also known as "Lunar New Year." It's a really festive time in Asian culture, with lots of gifts, parties, food, and especially those little red envelopes with money inside. My family had a little party yesterday to celebrate. We had so much food, I'm still full thinking about it.

I wanted to share with you all some pictures from a fashion show I was part of last year for Chinese New Year. It was televised on TV, but I believe it was only in the US. It was such a fun experience, especially since I don't know much about Vietnamese culture in general. The dress I'm wearing is a traditional "Ao Dai" which is somewhat like the national dress in Vietnam. The designs are quite intricate don't you think? They usually come in all sorts of colors ranging from pastels to brighter hues, but red is the most traditional. I was the only one at the fashion show actually wearing a "traditional" dress with long sleeves, a high collar, and a hat. Most of the other girls were wearing very modern ones, with one shoulder designs and open necklines. I felt like the makeup artist made my makeup too dark for my skintone, but surprisingly, on TV, I looked normal. It must have been all those bright lights they used for filming! I still prefer how I do my makeup myself though.

These pictures were taken by David Chung. You can see more of his work, as well as more pictures from the fashion show here.





17 comments:

  1. you look beautiful in this ao dai:)
    happy new year!

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year you too!!!!
    you're gorgeous!!!!
    love
    chiara
    www.isnotmycupofteablogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for the post and this dress is so nice!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, amazing outfit!

    xoxo
    hueys
    http://polka-dolkies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Year of the Dagon!! We've watched some of this festivity on TV and seems to be awesome! You look so beautiful!

    Sara and Laura.

    http://abereina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful pics, and u looked absolutely stunning, gorgeous!!!!!!!
    kisses

    Jelena
    glamfabchameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great & happy new year to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the pictures, you look so classy and lovely! I am your new follower on Bloglovin (number 16). I was wondering if you'd like to check my blog and/or follow each other. If so, please do let me know so I can also follow you on Google Friend Connect :)

    Love, Mary
    http://teenfashiondiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy chinese new yearrr!! come visit my latest post about my cny too!! :D:D:D u look so cute!want to follow each other? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!! what a cool experience. happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genial tu blog! me pasaré. un saludo desde: mamaartista.blogspot.com

    L+

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look absolutely darling! Happy Chinese New Year :)

    <3 from San Francisco

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are beautiful! What a wonderful tradition.
    Please take a look at my blog, too!
    http://fandml.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your blog!Following!
    I'd love it if you check out mine and tell me what you think!!

    xx
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look beautiful in this ao dai. Gorgeous! I'm thinking about having one made for me too...I might go with an all sequin fabric....

    happy (late) Vietnamese new year!
    -kim
    found the route

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jamie! Besides fashion, we have something else in common...I'm 75% Vietnamese and 25% Indian. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!!

If you have any specific questions, send me an email! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...